Man faces 2 counts of murder in double-homicide

0
445

A Courtenay, BC man who police say is recovering from a self-inflicted gunshot wound is facing two murder charges in connection with a double-homicide.  The 42-year-old man remains in hospital with undisclosed injuries, Comox Valley RCMP said.  A second man arrested at the home where gunshots were reported early Wednesday has been released without charge, police said.  People who live in the quiet Courtenay, B.C., neighbourhood are reeling after hearing gunshots and later learning a man and a woman were found dead inside the home in the 2300 block of Urquhart Avenue.

“We heard at least five, six shots,” said Darrel Carpenter, who lives nearby.

“[My] wife told me to get down because we were in our bedroom and I ducked and she was listening and she heard a woman screaming and a couple more shots.  All four people involved in the incident were known to each other, investigators said.

The names of the victims and the suspects have not been released.

Carpenter said police had been called to he home in the past.

“There’s been trouble there a few times, and actually during the summer we phoned the cops because there was a guy there with a truck who threatened to shoot somebody.”

Investigators spent Wednesday canvassing the neighbourhood for witnesses and searched yards for evidence. They came back to the home Thursday morning.

“For me it’s a little scary, a little freaky. It’s a small town,” said Russell Ball, who lives in the area. “Shootings don’t happen in a small town like this.”

The accused will appear in a Courtenay courtroom on October 11.

Investigators are still working with Crown counsel to determine whether the murder charges will be first or second degree charges, RCMP said.

LEAVE A REPLY